What is GeoDNS?
The GeoDNS service allows you to redirect your customers to specific IPs (servers) based on their geolocation. The service allows you to build your own CDN or to loadbalance your traffic more accurate and smart than the Round-Robin, or to setup different web sites for each geolocation region.
What are the geolocation options?
Our GeoDNS service works in strict hierarchy and each chield region overrides the settings for the larger primary region.
- DEFAULT - The main location is the DEFAULT option. The record configured with the DEFAULT location will be returned, if there is no other record configured for the geoarea of the customer. We are recommending each GeoDNS record always to have a DEFAULT location in the list, because there are some not specified regions in the IP networks database like Anonymous, Proxy and so on, which are not with exact location.
- Continents - The records configured for the continents overrides the settings for the DEFAULT location. With this option you can specify different IPs for each continent.
- Country - The country option overrides the settings for the Countinents and the DEFAULT location. With the continents you can configure a default IP for the whole continent and then for some specific countries you can define a separate servers. For an example, if you have main server for the whole Europe, it will be used for the all countries there, but with the country option you can define a separate server only for Germany.
- Regions - Currently we are supporting direction by regions only for the United States and Canada. The regions overrides the settings for the countries, continents and the DEFAULT location. More information for the regions will be posted bellow in the article.
Each subdomain has its own hierarchy. For an example the geolocation settings for subdomain.example.com will not affect the geolocation settings of www.example.com
We are supporting geolocation by all continents with internet access. The only one not supported continent is Antarctica, because there are no subnets with that location.
- North America
- South America
In order to keep our infrastructure smart, faster and on reasonable price, we are supporting all major contries in the world. This mean that some exotic locations may be not in the list. However, if you need any of them, just open a support ticket and we will add it for you.
- Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan
- Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria
- Canada, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic
- Denmark, Dominican Republic
- Ecuador, Egypt, Estonia
- Finland, France
- Germany, Greece
- Hong Kong, Hungary
- Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy
- Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
- Latvia, Lithuania
- Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Morocco
- Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, North Korea, Norway
- Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal
- Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland
- Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey
- Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uzbekistan
- Venezuela, Vietnam
- Zambia, Zimbabwe
Supported United States regions
We are supporting the standard federal regions in United States. Here is the list with the regions and states included in each one:
- Region I: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
- Region II: New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands
- Region III: Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia
- Region IV: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
- Region V: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin
- Region VI: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
- Region VII: Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska
- Region VIII: Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming
- Region IX: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands
- Region X: Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington
Why we are not supporting all states as separate location? This is because there is no accurate database for the states from the last few years when IPv4 addresses started exhausting. By using of regions of states we are improving our accuracy and keep our service compact and faster. However, if you still need any specific state for that country, you can contact our technical support and discuss the options with our team.
Supported Canadian regions
We are supporting the three main regions in Canada - East, West and North. Here is the list with the states included in each one:
- East: Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island
- West: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba
- North: Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut
Why we are not supporting all states as separate location? The answer is the same as the United States. However, if you still need any specific state for that country, please contact our technical support for that.
How to check my GeoDNS records configuration?
In order to be easier for our customers to see how their records will be in a specific location area, we have build a tool available in each GeoDNS zone in top of the control panel with name "GeoDNS records check". From there you can select any area from the list and the tool will show you which records will be visible in that location.
Still have a question?
Please open a support ticket and our team will assist you with everything you need.